USPS Real Mail Notification Services

Posted on | comment | CSG Direct Mail helps you get better results with our unique database marketing experience in personalized digital printing and direct mailing services

The USPS has rolled out it’s newest direct mail services for PO Box holders.

As an early US Mail Tracking developer I take great interest in the progress from the late 1980′s until now with the USPS Barcode scanning and tracking systems.  (We have the only US Mail Tracking app in the iTunes Store)

So when I heard the Postal Service is now offering text and email announcements whenever you receive a 1st-class mail piece in your PO Box… I jumped right in.

Now I don’t need any more emails.  Nobody does! However I also hate driving to the PO Box to pick up unsolicited catalogs and non-essentials. Sure, I’m in direct mail and I like my Standard Mail too, but if I am waiting on something important it would be nice to know when it arrives.

So I followed direction and stood in line at the PO Box station counter and signed up both of my PO Boxes for Text notification services.

Where is the Future in this?

I know the USPS is trying to find the most automated way to finish the gap from the Intelligent Mail Barcode (IMB) and the final carrier delivery.  This is likely the first step. It appears that the notice currently will be coming from the BMEU and not the PO Box branch itself so it will be interesting to watch.

With the IMB Barcode we are able to track a mailpiece as it touches every OCR along the way but after the carrier-route sort we have to estimate.  This texting service will be the next feature to fill the gap.

21 Responses to “USPS Real Mail Notification Services”

• Khanh Tran

We sent one small package on 12/19/2013 from Costa Mesa CA to 2715 Kenwood Ave.Richmond Virginia. VA 23228. Until now my friend did not receive it yet. Please reply let me know.

1. adrene young

i have a new e-mail address! But what does it has”t to do with my mail not being in my box? I have not receveid any mail in Three weeks Just a package good from isps,Joliet

2. Maggie

I signed up for this real mail notification and I did NOT receive an email or text notification advising me that my first class mail was in my PO Box. I don’t know why they offer services they fail in providing. No wonder they are going out of business.

• mailman

I haven’t been getting mine either. I went back in and they were surprised I hadn’t been. They are still not coming

3. gCam POB

In Israel, there is a new service for POB notification which sends a picture of your POB to your email, each day there is mail. This way you can really see what is inside. Check http://www.gcamenterprise.com
    The service is provided to world-wide post offices.

4. jessica

anyone else get a notification, and then there’s not actually mail? Like a full week after the notification and there’s still not mail? The supervisor at the post office doesn’t try to be helpful at all, he’s just like “That [real mail notification] doesn’t work”.

• avi parash

Maybe the problem is with the name of the service. It should have been: “You were supposed to get mail… :(
      A new service has been proposed to USPS and was not accepted so far. If you like it, maybe with public pressure, they will agree to test it.
      The new service is being used in Israel by Israeli post office. The user gets a picture of the POB (from the inside), each day there is mail.
      See more details and examples at http://www.gcamenterprise.com
      By looking at the picture, you get REAL understanding of what you got as you were there.
      Surpricingly, the cost of the service is actually cheaper than all the other methods used today.
      I wonder when USPS will agree to test it.

5. Will

Not getting mine since May of this year and when you ask the people that work there all they do is shrug their shoulders and doesn’t make any attempt into figuring out what is wrong with the system. I’ve called and notified the central hub’s postmaster and even called Miami’s division of consumer affairs. All which acknowledge that many people have been coming up with the same issue however no solution. They even have advertisements posting all around the post office offering this. No help what so ever. Meanwhile my partner is getting them in their location and sometimes with no mail in the box. How screwed up is this! May just have to go with UPS. At least they will not hold your packages and come up with some lame excuse as to “Your packages have been held until we get approval from the shipper” and this was delivered by UPS!

6. D

I closed my PO box a month ago and I still get these real mail notifications, I need to find a way to stop the daily emails from the post office.

7. A

I closed my PO Aug 2013 and I’m still getting real mail notifications via text messages. I told the post office. Now I have to call the regional USPS offices. Ridiculous!

8. Gmiller

I get my realmailnotification emails ans text whenever mail is delivered to my PO Box.

9. Frustrated with emails

Did anyone figure out how to get these messages from realmailnotification to stop? If so, what did you have to do? Thanks!

• mailman

You have to stop them at the Post Office you started them at as far as I understand

• vin maniscalco

closed my po box a year ago and still get notifications local p.o. has no clue

10. Christine

I got a new phone and the one I have gets these EVERY DAY and I want them stopped! How do you stop them when you don’t know anything about why they were set up and the notifications are not for YOU?

11. ADRENE YOUNG

OKAY LATELY I AM HAVING THEIFT IN MY LIFE AGAIN,A SO CLAIM MEMEBER TO ANOTHER MEMBER OF ANOTHER MEMBER TO A FAMILY WORKS AT A P.O BOX STATION AND ALL SHE EVER DID ALL OVER THE WORLD WAS FRUAD AND STEAL AND HIDE AN BACKGROUND SHOWLL MISSED HER WITH POST OFFICE THEIFT SHE DONT NO ME PERSONNELY BUT THINK THAT MY NAME ON PAPPER IS A WHOLE LOT.

12. Garry Wratten

I see my concerns about Real Mail Notification have already been posted. It’s another failed government program that is not working. I have switched to a PO Box handled by a real business, FedEx print centers.