The Mobile Barcode Promotion from the U.S. Postal Service® runs July 1, 2011, through August 31, 2011. Business Mailers can get a 3% upfront discount on First-Class Mail® and Standard Mail® letters and flats.
To help you out a bit we’ve made our very own QR code placement guide to help you when designing your mailers.
You can download the QR Placement Template here.
The template is designed for a 9×6 postcards but the guidelines seen apply to all letter rate mail pieces. Additional the mobile barcode should not be placed within 2″ of the actual postage indicia when the indicia is not placed in the described “indicia zone”.
Mobile barcodes provide a connection between print and the digital world. They are two-dimensional and can be read by smartphones that have a 2-D barcode app/reader. When scanned, these mobile barcodes can motivate your audience to take immediate action. For example: make a purchase, register for an event, or download a coupon.
Be sure to follow these rules and for more information click the link or scan the QR code at the bottom of this post.
• Mobile barcodes must be two-dimensional and readable by a mobile smartphone. One-dimensional barcodes do NOT qualify.
• Mailing documentation must be submitted electronically, and mail must be sent with postage paid through a permit imprint. Current methods include: Mail.XML, Mail.dat, and Postal Wizard.
• Participating mailers are required to affirmatively claim this promotion in electronic postage statement submissions, certifying each mailpiece contains a mobile barcode either within the contents or on the outside of the mailpiece.
• All mailpieces in a postage mailing statement must contain a mobile barcode.
• With the exception of the Intelligent Mail® barcode (IMb) full-service discount, only one incentive per mailing will apply.
• The objective of the two-dimensional mobile barcode on eligible mailpieces must be to initiate interaction with consumers via mobile smartphones to market, promote, or educate. Two-dimensional barcodes used for other purposes – such as internal corporate operational processes, or postage evidencing – are not eligible for the discount.
• Mail must be tendered for acceptance during the promotion period, July 1, 2011, through August 31, 2011.
For more information about QR code placement and deadlines for this promotion, visit the USPS Mobile Barcode Promotion press site or scan the QR code below.